My painting palettes

Mar 16, 2010

I picked up a porcelain palette this past week that I'm really excited about. It was an "as is" item at the art store because the lid had been broken and glued back together.  I wasn't really looking for a new palette, but when I saw it, I knew it would be perfect for my ink and watercolor works.  I have a terrible habit of squeezing more paint out of the tubes than necessary, and I figure the smaller wells would force me to conserve.

For oil painting, my palette needs are the other extreme.  I use palette knives when I work on larger oil paintings, so a flat and broad surface is preferable.  I purchased a glass palette many years ago that I find to be ideal.  I can quickly mix colors, and for cleanup, I just use a glass scraper on paint that has dried. 

The glass palette also fits nicely on top of this vintage rolling cart that I just found on craigslist.  The lady that I bought it from told me that the cart was from the mental institution where One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was filmed.  It even has an electrical outlet unit . . . I'd rather not think about what it was used for.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...