New work, "Sea"

May 21, 2010


This week I decided to "recycle/reuse" one of my older monoprints.  There was one that reminded me of the ocean, and I felt compelled to add some patterns and details to it.  The new work is titled Sea, and, measuring at 18" x 24", it's the largest mixed media piece I've completed in the last six months. 


Lately, I've been experimenting with flattened features in relation to three-dimensional qualities.  With this particular piece, I wanted to create a multi-viewing experience, kinda like looking at a fish bowl.  I wanted the viewer to feel as if they were underwater and also looking at the water from above.  To help with this interplay of perspectives, I added some tiny leaves that are falling onto the surface of the water.  


The pattern of ovals can be viewed as a ground or a structure.  I drew each circle by hand with a pen and then filled in the spaces with a small brush and black ink.  It was tedious but therapeutic at the same time.

Although time-consuming, I enjoyed working at the larger scale.  And I'm all for taking art work that I'm not sentimental about and reworking it into a new piece.  I already have ideas for the next monoprint make-over! 


6 comments:

Mr. Spoqui said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
belinda marshall said...

oh wow. the black pattern is so neatly done. love the textures and colours :)

Anonymous said...

I love this. I could just look at it and look at it. I also really like the black ovals; bold yet soft.

big.tea said...

so beautiful. and soothing. i, too love the ovals.

april said...

Amazing. So calming.
I love it.

Gloria Freshley Art and Design said...

Hi Cathy, I've been enjoying my first visit to your blog very much this evening and am looking forward to many more! The images of this print are beautiful and I love this black pattern of circles. Thank you! Gloria

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...