My creative process this week

Jul 25, 2010


Here's my latest mixed media piece called summer at the lake.  This work evolved from a lot of editing and problem-solving.  Originally, there were more details around the lake, but I didn't like the direction I was going.   So, I decided to cut out only the elements of the art work that I liked and glue the pieces to a birch panel.  When using a rotary paper trimmer, I miscalculated one of the cuts and sliced through a part of the drawing I wanted to keep intact.  Funny enough, I actually liked the horizontal line effect and made a few more horizontal cuts (as seen in the top portion of the work).  

I debated on tinting the birch panel.  Ultimately, I decided to keep it natural, which complements the warm tones of the sky and the water highlights.  To enhance the wood a bit, I used Gamblin Gamvar varnish.  Gamvar is normally used to varnish oil and acrylic paintings, but I apply it on mixed media works as well.  The varnish seems to give colors a little more pop. 

Although I do love drawing at my desk, most of my creative time this week has been spent on this embroidery piece:


I'm almost done with the embroidery part.  I'm wondering if I should add a city monogram to the design like I did in this piece.  Your thoughts?

6 comments:

kori said...

i am seriously in love with that mixed media piece.

Chrissy Foreman C said...

Your embroidery piece is SO fantastic. In fact, your whole blog is fantastic!
SO glad to have stumbled across you and your beautiful work :)

Unknown said...

ooooh la la, I just came across your blog, on a random etsy peruse today. I must say, its absolutely lovely.

Alex Louisa said...

I love how you've cut out the outline of the lake! I think it looks brilliant.

I also adore your embroidery pice. It's just amazing. There's some of my favourite colours in there!

So happy to have found your blog - PERFECT name, by the way! (It's the best kind of habit!)

Cathy said...

Hello and welcome! Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment and giving such encouraging feedback!

Anonymous said...

Cathy, This is all such beautiful work. Love what you're doing!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...