Inspired by macrame

Sep 29, 2010


In recent months, I've been itching to take up weaving.  I don't have a loom (as of yet), so I've been thinking of alternative ways to intertwine yarn.  One idea that came to mind was using knots.  I have never been a huge fan of macrame, but I was quickly won over when I saw the works of Australian artist Sarah Parkes.  Her macrame creations are a far cry from kitschy. 


In addition to lighting and plant hangings, Parkes also has a macrame jewelry collection.  I love the rosette necklace on the right.


Yesterday, I decided to try my luck at macrame.  And what started as a spontaneous idea became a several hour ordeal!  Here's a look at what I made.


The only experience I've had knotting yarn was when I made friendship bracelets as a teenager.  I found that dressing a bottle was a little trickier than dressing a wrist! I wanted the macrame design on the bottle to be organic, so I didn't follow a pattern.  And, instead of cord, I used flax yarn (which is more like twine).  The texture of the yarn definitely gives a different effect than cord -more like a crocheted look. 

Glass and rope scream beach to me, so hopefully you caught on to the sea theme.  I titled the piece Seafarer, in honor of the explorer in all of us.  I imagine the newly adorned vessel to hold sand from a faraway place or notes of affection.

I added this piece to a new section in my Etsy shop called Exclusives.  This will be home to unique, one-of-a kind creations (like my embroidery works, painted rocks, etc.). 

Oh, and don't forget the mega giveaway ends tomorrow!  I've enjoyed reading all of the comments so far.  Your thoughtful feedback and encouraging words always fuel my creative energy.  Thank you!

5 comments:

HomeCollection. said...

beautiful selection
i love the lamp!

Jo said...

Love it - I have been thinking about macrame recently.

Charissa said...

Do you know Ruth Asawa's work? I saw this on FFFOUND and was reminded of her crocheted sculptures: http://www.ruthasawa.com/art/cro8.html. Pretty cool.

Cathy said...

Her crocheted sculptures are amazing! Love. Love. Love.

Thanks for sharing!

Samantha said...

Thanks for the inspiration. LOVE that egg lamp.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...