Sublime retreat in the woods

Dec 11, 2010


I love the city life, but I also long to have a cabin in the woods one day.  A place that is cozy, serene, and away from the din of man- very much like this cabin built by Greg of Clutch Camera.  He recently completed the 200 sq/ft cabin located in the Minnesota wilderness, just 30 miles from Canada. All the wood used for the timber frame cabin was locally sourced, and the exterior siding is reclaimed western red cedar, milled from old telephone poles. 


The cabin doesn't have running water, but there is a lake on the property!  The cabin is also surrounded by maple trees, which Greg describes as "more spectacular than can be written about" when they change color in autumn.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.  
                                                                                                                                           - Henry David Thoreau
Thanks, Greg, for an inspiring story and such beautiful photographs!  To see pictures of the cabin being built, go here.  Greg and his significant other also recently launched a line of handmade housewares crafted from antlers.  Very cool stuff, check it out here.

3 comments:

HomeCollection. said...

i-want-to-live-there!

Lauren said...

this looks lovely! I lived in a 10 x 10 foot cabin with my husband and 2 cats -- this retreat seems so cozy, well designed, and peaceful. what a lovely abode!

annekata said...

I love everything about this cabin and although more of a city person, I've always admired and longed for the "cabin retreat". The smaller the better. Love your friend's description of the maple trees being "more spectacular than can be written about". This sentiment is beautifully reflected in the images.
Have a lovely holiday season!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...