Artists I like: Tracy Rocca

Feb 2, 2011

Moonstone Beach
This painting by Tracy Rocca had me at hello.  Earlier today I came across Tracy's art on Artist A Day, and I had to see more.  I clicked over to her website and soon became lost in a world of celestial images. 

At first glance, the blurred images look like they were taken by a camera.  Moonstone Beach, for example, reminds me of this photograph shot by Portland photographer Anthony Georgis.


Rainier

When I discovered that Tracy's works were not photographs but paintings,  I became that much more intrigued with her creative process.  In her statement she writes,
the use of instantaneous digital tools in my everyday life makes me want to find a slower, gradual, more contemplative painting process that reasserts the value of the human hand. I work every morning in natural light using traditional painting materials, walnut oils and mongoose brushes, to apply thin glazes of color that I blend and blur into soft transitions.
Even the way Tracy paints sounds heavenly!

Lili Pad II

Parrots

Sound View

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE photos...xx Emily of EL Vintage

Alex Louisa said...

That is a lovely description of her process. And completely understandable... I paint digitally all day for work, so I also can't wait to step away from everything digital at the end of the day, and get into my own art that's all created traditionally.

I even thought of parrots before I scrolled to the title of that piece. They're all so lovely and intriguing!

honeyhuckabee said...

WOW. these are incredibly dreamy... thank you for sharing!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...